Filing a Tax Return When You Live Outside the United States

If you live abroad and have income, you will still have to file a tax return. You must also either have taxes withheld from your paycheck or pay quarterly estimated taxes if you are working abroad.

However, the tax bite may be substantially reduced if you qualify for a foreign earned income exclusion of $91,500 (2010) and $92,900 (2011), and the foreign housing exclusion and deduction. (See IRS Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad. You can download this from the IRS website at

But renouncing your U.S. citizenship to beat the IRS won’t work, at least at first. You remain subject to U.S. tax laws for ten years after renunciation!

There is one bit of good news. While you are subject to U.S. tax laws, it is very difficult for the IRS to grab wages or assets located outside of the United States. Some countries, mostly in Europe, have treaties with the U.S. in which their tax agencies can cooperate with the IRS to collect from U.S. citizens, but most governments place a very low priority on working these kinds of cases.

You may also owe taxes to the government of the country where you reside. Some countries give you credit for taxes you pay to Uncle Sam; others won’t. Also, estate and inheritance tax laws vary widely across the globe.

Disclaimer: Hone Maxwell LLP articles and blogs are not intended as legal advice. Additional facts, facts specific to your situation or future developments may affect subjects contained herein. Seek the advice of an attorney before acting or relying upon any information herein.

Latest Post


12 Marina View #23-01
Asia Square Tower 2
Singapore 018961
+65 8648 3995


3465 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92108


Centro Corporativo Dayco
Blvd. General Gustavo Salinas #11050
Suite 602, Col. Aviacion
22014 Tijuana, B.C., Mexico
+52 (664) 504 6415

Entering the U.S. Business Market

Download Our Free Guide

Foreign investors: Learn about options for opening a business and tax compliance in the U.S.