Aaron Li is an associate attorney with Hone Maxwell LLP. His practice focuses on international tax and federal, state and local tax issues, including tax planning, compliance, and controversy. Mr. Li advises clients on various international tax issues including the FBAR compliance, Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program, FATCA, treaties, and IRS informational reporting. In addition, Mr. Li defends clients in audits with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Franchise Tax Board (FTB), State Board of Equalization (SBOE), and Employment Development Department (EDD). He assists client in collection issues including liens, levies, installment agreements, and offers in compromise.
Mr. Li grew up in Southern California, and he obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Economics from University of California, Riverside where he graduated with Honors. Mr. Li also earned his Juris Doctor and Masters of Laws in Taxation from the University of San Diego, School of Law. While in law school he worked in tax compliance, estate planning, and elder abuse litigation. He received the Outstanding Intern Award by the San Diego Elder Law and Advocacy.
Prior to joining this firm, Mr. Li worked as an associate attorney with a tax law firm where he defended individuals and entities in tax audits and collection. He was also the primary counsel who handled the firm’s international tax cases.
Outside of his practice, Mr. Li serves as the President and board member for the San Diego Chinese Attorneys Association, an non-profit organization. As the member of the organization, Mr. Li would hold tax seminars and clinics in Mandarin Chinese to educate and help the Chinese speaking community.
Mr. Li lives in San Diego with his wife, Angela.
Admitted to Practice:
- State of California
- University of San Diego School of Law, Masters of Laws in Taxation (LL.M.), 2011
- University of San Diego School of Law, Juris Doctorate, 2011
- University of California, Riverside, Bachelor of Art, Economics/Law and Society, 2007
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of California, Taxation Section
- President, San Diego Chinese Attorneys Association
- “A Victory is A Victory: Why Dispute DS362 was A Necessary First Step in Improving IP Protection and Enforcement in China.” Practitioner Treatise on International Business Transactions, 2012-13 Ed..